In Italy, Civil Protection is organized in "National Service", a complex system consisting of all the forces fielded by the State.
Article 13 of Legislative Decree n.1 of January 2, 2018 identifies as Operational Structures of the National Service:
- the The National Fire and Rescue Service, as a fundamental component of civil protection
- the Armed Forces
- the Police Forces
- the Bodies and Research Institutes of national importance with civil protection purposes, also organized as Competence Centers,
- the National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology and the National Research Council
- the structures of the National Health Service
- the organized voluntary civil protection enrolled in the National List of Voluntary Civil Protection
- the Italian Red Cross Association and the National Alpine and Speleological Rescue Corps
- the National System for the Protection of the Environment
- the structures in charge of the management of meteorological services at national level.
Art. 13 of the Code also defines the subjects that contribute to civil protection activities: professional orders and colleges (with their respective national councils), bodies, institutes, national agencies, companies and other public or private organizations that carry out civil protection functions.